Friday, December 14, 2012

8 tips to help you get the perfect gifts


Are you one amongst those that struggle to find the perfect gift for those you love? You try and try but in the end you are poorly satisfied with what you got them? Here are my advices on how to get the perfect gift for the ones you care about. I've learned from experience and they really helped me, so I hope they'll help you as well.



1. Spend some time before spending money
Spend time listening to the people you want to get gifts for. And I mean listening, not pretending to listen while dealing with your own thoughts. Ask tricky sublime questions. It's most likely at one point those persons will start talking about something they are interested in or something they like. It could be something they saw in a movie or read about in a book, or even saw on the street. Just pay attention to what they say when their face lights up and they start talking passionately about something. That right there is your answer. 

2. Keep an eye out before the event 
That's my favorite trick. Whenever I meet those people I spend time listening to what they talk about most or paying attention to what stirs their attention. And nine out of ten times I know what to get them before the event which is a huge headache savior. 

3. Use your imagination
I don't think the quality of a gift stands in the price of in the size (well unless we talk about materialists) but rather in the details and what you add to it. For eg. you could very well pick up a simple photo frame and decorate it by gluing stickers or buttons (sewing buttons that is) to it, maybe cut a heart out of colored paper and stick it as well. Whatever you think goes best. Just use that well of imagination inside your mind.

4. Pick it from the heart
Stop thinking about what they would need or how to get the best gift. Just look around and try to imagine what they would enjoy the most. It doesn't have to be something practical like a food processor or a vacuum cleaner or anything like that. Just try to imagine the person's reacting to receiving what you try to get them. And after you chose something you think they would enjoy, don't just give them and expect them to be extremely happy and satisfied with the gift. Tell them why you chose it, if it was a funny moment you've experienced together that the gifts reminds you off, tell them. Remind them of the good moments you shared and explained that the gift reminded you of them and you hope it'll do the same for them as well. Chances are, they'll really make a connection between your gift and the memory.

5. Make it personal 
I think it's so sad how the habit of gift giving evolved lately. I've seen people that pick up gifts by going into a store and letting the salesperson "suggest" what they should get for their loved ones...and without further thinking they get something and hurry to give it to that person. Where is the involvement? where is the connection? Gift giving is supposed to make a connection between you and the one person you give it to, but since you are not waisting too much time thinking about them and making the effort of really choosing a gift to fit them and you let the salesperson choose it for you, your gift is actually making a connection between the salesperson and the person you are about to give it to. I personally, love the intention of those that give me gifts but hate the lack of involvement when they just get me something with no meaning attached to it. Make it personal! Show me you know me, even the candy box can be made personal. Let me give you an example: You can write a poem for me on the box or make a sweet comment on why you got me that box of chocolate, that particular one... and it must be something else than... everybody says it's good, or... they recommended me. Or even better, get me a box of chocolate I've never dared to try before. It can be any kind of strange flavor, I'll most certainly remember who dared me to eat something like that, and maybe I'll even discover I like the flavor. And to make it even better you can print a diploma and write "Brave heart award" on it for eating that chocolate. Or you can just as well write a special dedication on the box, tell me something you like about me. The list could go on. Just use your memories to capture the essence of the person that's going to receive the gift. Make sure they know this gift was meant for them and only them.  

6. Go for the classics 
If you're really in a rush of time, or the person you want to get a gift for is barely an acquaintance just pick something classic like chocolate boxes, flowers, wine, watches, bags, perfumes and so on.

7. Ask around 
You can ask their friends or family for an advice on what they would like. There are some chances they'll get it right and you'll buy exactly what they want. 

8. Ask them directly 
If you tried all of the above and still didn't find something you think they would really enjoy, and you don't want to get them something they wouldn't enjoy just go ahead and ask them straight for what they want. Of course it'll depend on the way they see the whole gift giving thing, 'cause some might actually enjoy giving suggestions and getting what they want while others will get frustrated thinking you really don't care about them.
 

And because I love giving gifts, here's my little gift for you : If you need help picking up a gift for someone and you think I could help you,   just send me an email at wandering.rachel@yahoo.com
Promise I'll get back at you asap! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment