Friday, March 8, 2013

The birth of a martyr

Merriam Webster defines martyr as "a person who sacrifices something of great value and especially life itself for the sake of principle".   Martyr...just another word, yet such a powerful one. And it gives the word even more power when it's spoken by a warrior like Immortal Technique. It's not a question of how much talent he has, cause we all know that...It's about, how much better can you get ? I mean seriously. "Leaving the past" was the first song I heard from him and I froze in place at that time. It was just so real. I felt reborn at the time. As if all I thought and never had the courage to admit even for myself was put in words. Ever since, I listened to his songs so much that I've actually learned most of them by heart - with no intention of doing so. And just when I thought he couldn't possibly be getting better than that, he came out with "The martyr" which is not only incredibly amazing but one of the best albums ever (in my opinion). And to leave you speechless I'll tell you one more thing. You might think of running to the shop to get his album right? Well, you don't have to do that. He decided the album was going to be available for free. 
The album is a masterpiece, his lyrics speak to your mind and spirit, the instrumental is just as always, simple yet perfect. Overall, listening to his album is an amazing experience you shouldn't miss. It takes you courage to write down such lyrics and it takes carrying for the realness to rhyme like this, so even though it's 35 later than it should've been said...A martyr by the name of Immortal Technique was born. And I'm sure, he'll never be forgotten. 

I full hearted recommend his album to those of you that can see life past what they show you on TV and in magazines. Stay awake! 

Wishing you the best,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment