Friday, January 4, 2013

Tips to help you write your first book


While I was struggling to write my own book I gathered some experience that helped me write easier. Of course, I also came across a couple of tips for writing a book over the Internet that helped me a lot as well. I made a mix of these advices plus the things I had to figure out on my own, hoping that they'll help you just as much as they helped me in writing your first book (hopefully even further).

1. Read as much as you can
Each writer has its own way of writing, each one of them brings an unique flavor to their masterpiece. Read as much as possible so you'll be able to see more writing styles than you already know. Figure out what you like about a writer, what feels right for you and focus your writing on that style. I'm not saying do what the others writers do. Figure out what sparks your attention in the way they write and work with that. If, for example, you like the way a writer describes the nature in his book, or the amount of details he puts into his characters, do so as well. Don't use his words to describe your characters, use your own, but describe them as best as you can. I didn't read that many books, but the ones I read really helped me shape my writer's profile. I figured out what I like and what makes me feel comfortable to write about and that really helped my flow.

2. Make a map
Well, not literally. Draw a map of your book inside your head and note some main ideas down as well. Don't focus too much on the details, just the main events of the book. Try to figure out where your book is heading, it'll be ten times easier. I had a hard time doing the map in the beginning but once I caught the grip on it, I could never let it go. Thinking back, I don't know how I managed to write even as little as I did before figuring out the map to my book. The map will help you more than you can imagine. Just try it. 

3. Just write
If you're always waiting for inspiration to hit you it may take it a while. Sometimes (most of the times) you just have to stir its attention. Just sit down and write. There were quite a lot of times when I had not idea of what to write and I didn't feel like writing but I tried this exercise and after 5, 10 sometimes even 20 minutes of writing a sentence that I would delete and rewrite I got my writing mojo on and became unstoppable.  

4. Don't mind the chaos
Don't worry if you don't know how the book begins but know how the book ends. Or if you have some of the middle part of the book in mind. Throw away every word you've ever heard on how things should be done a certain way. Embrace your individuality, embrace your talent. If you know how you're book is going to end - great! Write the ending. It'll slowly unfold the story, it'll help you shape your characters. You can even get creative and write a book from the ending to the beginning, it all depends on you. Just write. Whatever you have in mind. Even if it's just one phrase or one word. Write it down. 

5. Brainstorm
There are great brainstorming exercises to help you. I figured out one that helped me the best. It goes on like this: Leave the typewriter, computer, anything, take a piece of paper and a pen and go out somewhere you usually enjoy yourself. It can be a park, coffee shop, bookstore or really anyplace you feel good. Try to relax and write down everything that comes to mind. Write down each thought until there's nothing left. Don't stress too much thou, the point is to keep calm and set your thoughts free so they won't bug you anymore and others will find their way in. After you exhausted all of your thoughts take a break, after which revise the words you wrote on paper. Try to find connection between them and between them and the book. See if any of those stir your attention and give you ideas for the book.    

6. Keep an eye open
You never know what can inspire you. It's all a matter of how you perceive things. Writers see what others overlook sometimes. Make the most of each moment and try to see more than just what it is.

7. Take a break
Sometimes you just need to take a break. Don't worry too much if you can't write for a while. Understand is normal to go through things like this. Give yourself time to breath and wait, inspiration will eventually come back around. 

8. Exercise
Exercising as often as possible will help not only your body but your mind as well. "Mens sana in corpore sano" sounds familiar doesn't it?  A healthy mind allows you to enjoy your life, the environment, and the people in it. It's much easier to be creative, to cope with difficult times and keep an open mind if your mind is healthy. And one way of keeping your mind healthy is exercising as often as possible. Which brings us to another method of keeping a healthy mind.

9. Meditate
Meditation is also a great way of improving your mental health. What I love most about meditation is the state it puts me in, the whole cozy feeling and the experience. I also noticed it's easier for me to write after I meditate. You should at least try it.   

10. Enthusiasm
Remember how enthusiastic you were when you first decided to write your book? Keep that enthusiasm with you at all times. Enthusiasm will help you feel better and more confident, which will make it easier to write.

11. Relax
Don't stress yourself if the book is not done by the time you wanted it to, or if it doesn't seem as good as you thought it would. Give it time to become what you want it... and take your time with it. I also suggest you don't set a deadline for the book. Yes, you could set an approximate date when you'll like to see the book done, but if it won't turn out to be done at that time don't stress it. Don't expect too much and too fast. Constantly invest time and creativity into it.

12. Ask for help
Ask for friends or loved ones to look over your book and tell you what it's great about it and what could be reconsidered. You can also ask them to help you figure out how a particular event should unfold, or they could help you figure out a story for one of your characters. Just make sure you ask the people whom you trust.

Now it's your turn. Was this helpful? And was there something else that helped you through the journey of writing your own book?  

No comments:

Post a Comment